Canopy.




In de early 90’s we made our own canopy. We didn’t like the old fashion KR canopy so we decide to
make our own
mould. We thought that the small optical mismatch would disappear after cleaning.

IMG_6276


IMG_6269

IMG_6273


IMG_6261

A few years later.
IMAGE_494
As you can see it fits perfect.


canopy__04



IMAGE_495 2

After the tail mod, the canopy doesn’t fit anymore so we decided to order a dragonfly canopy.
Back then we never heard about dragonfly, but nowadays internet is the place to be!


The dragonfly canopy.

We take a good look how
Mark langford made his frame for the canopy. Thanks for your info.

canopy__07
The very flexible canopy arrived!! We did need tape to hold the canopy in its shape.


IMAGE_798
We made 2 canopy rails glued temp on the longerons. Made the shape of the fuselage in the foam. Removed
the thickness of the canopy and put a later of CF on it.

IMAGE_808
Installed the canopy on the first part of the frame. On the aft side we made a jig to hold the canopy in the
right shape.

IMAGE_817
Used a complete sheet of foam for the aft side of the frame. Later we cut it in to a smaller one.

IMAGE_824
Result, shape as the canopy.

IMG_0182


canopy__16
We made the flinch 20mm longer because the canopy frame must perfectly closed on the turtle deck.

DSC00555


The front deck.

IMAGE_825
With the canopy in its right position we designed the shape of the front deck.

IMAGE_835
Now we had the right shape it is easy to find the shape of the instrument panel. And also the final shape
of the FWD deck.

IMAGE_844


canopy__23


canopy__26


DSC00507
Made a filler to fill the gap.

IMG_0174


IMG_0183
One layer with CF cloth over it.

IMG_0199
And than… cut the upper part of the instrument panel. (we used this part later)

IMG_0229
Shape it in the right model.

IMG_0234
Again CF cloth.

IMG_0389
Now its time to shape the rails above the longerons.

IMG_0390


IMG_0396


IMG_0457


canopy__49
Almost finished. Need to cut the big after panel.

IMG_1423
After the cut we put the final layer of CF cloth over it. Result is one layer cloth horizontal lower side and
top side 2 layers. 2 x 2 layers cloth vertical.

IMG_1430
Frame finished.

IMG_1472
To open and close the canopy, we want to make something like the picture above.

IMG_1903
You need a tube that runs from LH to RH side.

IMG_2205


IMG_2372


IMG_2376

IMG_4270
It works.


Now the frame is ready we can glue the canopy……. First we need to spray and final finish the inside.

IMG_4682
After fill all the small holes with micro, we used normal filler and a primer.

IMG_4689
The white coating is final, the black is a base coat. ( Thanks marcel)

IMG_4697


IMG_4700

IMG_4701
Good view at the small cap for the locking mechanism.

IMG_4705

IMG_4710

IMG_4713
Finishing the glair shield



IMG_4719
Now it is ready for gluing the canopy……. After installing the locking mechanism

IMG_4805
First rough the canopy with grit 40

IMG_4808
We made a jig, so we had a good possibility to put some force on the canopy in the glue proces.

After everything is clean, first put a very thin layer at of clear resin on both sides. Than one layer with flox
and than is the final moment…..
IMG_4818
It is on.

IMG_4824
Next day we removed the clamps.


IMG_4827
This the first view and probaly for a long time the only view thru our canopy.

IMG_4829
We had to clean 20 mm because we put one layer on the outside of the glass.

IMG_5215
Fairing

IMG_5362
Finshed.
Back to home