The wheel fairings.




A long, long time ago we made a set of wheelfairings with gelcoat and heavy cloth. Result 9 kg of wheel fairings…..
so we decided to make new ones from CF(carbon fiber)

This is how we did it.
IMG_7428
We made a template of the mold, so we can perfectly see the 45 degree in the cloth. We planned to use 2 layers
of CF 180 gr. and at the attachment point an extra 3rd layer.

IMG_7490


IMG_7494


IMG_7496
While the cloth was still wet, we removed as much as possible resin out of the cloth with a spatula.

IMG_7482
Put the 2 layers on 45 degree in the mold and cut it very close to the edge.

IMG_7500


IMG_7483
The other half is cut at one inch of the edge, folded back, connect the 2 molds together. Then folded the big one
over the small one, so there is a good connection with the 2 parts.

IMG_7486
The 2 parts together with peelply.

IMG_7502


IMG_7532
One wheel pant (or head) is 0.35 kg.

IMG_7531
2 main and one nose fairing. Total weight about one kg. I think we have saved a lot of weight.

IMG_7637
Installed the fairing with a mounting plate. The space between the wheel and the fairing is about one inch.

IMG_7632


IMG_7600


IMG_7633
To attach the outer base plates to the wheel axle we welded a cress u-formed profile on the nut. We copied
this ( system) from Mark Langford. (thanks for the tip)
Final result.
Back to home